Re: Help for installation of gnumake

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Help for installation of gnumake
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:05:26 -0500

%% "Tang, Jih-Chuan" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
  >> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
  >> checking for gcc... no
  >> checking for cc... no
  >> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

  tj> I do give '$PATH' to the directory in which 'cc' command
  tj> exists.

Solaris does not provide a C compiler of any type as part of the
standard system; if you want Sun's compiler you must purchase it
separately.

Obviously you cannot compile a C program (like GNU make) without a C
compiler.

Alternatively you can download prebuilt versions of the GNU C compiler
from GCC (or even prebuilt versions of GNU make...); one place to get
them is http://sunfreeware.com/

HTH.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/