Re: Got a SIGCHLD

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Got a SIGCHLD
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:26:53 -0500

%% Maciej Walezak <address@hidden> writes:

  mw> When I run gmake with -d flag a see several dozens of the
  mw> following lines:

  mw> Child access: user 1050 (real 1050), group 1001 (real 1001)
  mw> Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.

  mw> After about 200 such lines gmake starts doing its normal job
  mw> i.e. chceking dpendencies and so on.  In case of one big makefile
  mw> (with very long lists of files as targets or dependencies) the
  mw> number of those lines goes into thousands and gmake does not
  mw> starts normal job after reasonable time.

Hm.  These message mean that make is running a command and waiting for
it to be done.  Don't you see any other information about what commands
make is starting when you run with -d?  What commands are they?

One thing: are you using the automated dependency tracking solution
described in the GNU make manual (and other places), which includes the
.d files for each source file and provides a rule for building them?  If
so, maybe these are the dependency files being built before make can
start processing the normal rules.

If this is the case, see the "advanced automated dependency tracking"
method described in a paper on my web page below.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/