auto dependency checking/creation for GNU make?

From: Miller, Bryan
Subject: auto dependency checking/creation for GNU make?
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:03:32 -0800

Hello all,

I have a client that, despite my strong advice to the contrary, wants a make
system that will simply build every file in the source tree (in this case
inside ClearCase).  Instead of maintaining a list of dependencies in the
makefile they simply want to add a set of files to the source tree and be
able to type "make all".

Has anyone out there done anything like this natively in make without having
to run a bunch of foreach iterations?  Their expectations are that every .c
or .s file will yield a .o file and all the .o files will be used to
generate one large .a file.

I created one makefile that used $(wildcard) constructs to generate a list
of dependencies but it is a real hack and at times causes buffer overflows
since the list is so long:

find_c_files = $(wildcard $(dir)/*.c)
find_s_files = $(wildcard $(dir)/*.s)

# Find all the *.c and *.s files in the base directories.
c_files = $(foreach dir, $(dirs), $(find_c_files))
s_files = $(foreach dir, $(dirs), $(find_s_files))

# Take list of *.c & *.s files and make list of *.o files.
c_objects = $(patsubst %.c,%.o, $(c_files))
s_objects = $(patsubst %.s,%.o, $(s_files))

Thanks much in advance,
Bryan
--
Bryan Miller