Multiple substitutions of % in a dependency

From: Stefan Götz
Subject: Multiple substitutions of % in a dependency
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:44:39 +0100

Hi!

I've got a little trouble with the substitution of % in a dependency:
There's a target depending on a file who's name and path vary with the name
of the target. As a rule this looks like:

$(targets) : %-foo.o : src/%/bar/%-foo.c

So the file gee-foo.o depends on the file src/gee/bar/gee-foo.c.

Now it seems that the '%' is not replaced twice in a dependency as make
tells me that with the file gee-foo.o there's no rule to make target
src/gee/bar/%-foo.c
I couldn't find any such restriction with the % pattern being mentioned in
the make manual.

Any idea, how I could express this dependency correctly?

Thanks and best regards,
        Stefan