About the MAKE program

From: Antonio C. S.
Subject: About the MAKE program
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:59:32 +0100

Hello, I am a spanish user of Windows 98. I tried to get a program of GNU software, it is the MAKE program. I really no understand this program, I have attempted to use MAKE for build a astronomy program (Xephem), which is in source code, and it have makefiles for use the MAKE program of GNU. My problems are that I don't know how to install the MAKE program, it has got the files dosbuild.bat, configure.bat, build_w32.bat and I have executed these files, but when I execute the configure file it says: "No make program found--use DOSBUILD.BAT to build Make.", and I do this, I execute DOSBUILD.BAT and after work a short time it says: "gcc.exe: commands.o: No such file or directory (ENOENT)
               gcc.exe: glob/libglob.a: No such file or directory (ENOENT)
               gcc.exe: No input files
               Make.exe build failed..."
Well I no understand this message, because glob/libglob.a exists !
I finally can't install this program that seems important for build the source code.
Other problem is that in the user's guide of MAKE, when the program is installed, it says:
"type make", and I no understand it!!. Type make where??, in the screen of MSDOS?, in the EMACS editor?, in the directory which the makefile is for build?. Please I don't know much about the GNU software and I'd like get help of you!
Greetings.
(Sorry for my english, it's no my native language)