Re: Commands with multiple output files

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Commands with multiple output files
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 17:57:14 -0500

%% Peter Eisentraut <address@hidden> writes:

  pe> Paul D. Smith writes:
  >> %% Peter Eisentraut <address@hidden> writes:

  pe> What is a good way to write rules that contain commands with multiple
  pe> output files?

  >> Use multiple patterns in a pattern rule.  See the GNU make manual,
  >> section _Introduction to Pattern Rules_.

  pe> That only works when the files have related names, but not in a general
  pe> case, like

  pe> abc def: uvw xyz

Absolutely.  In the example you gave, that was the case.

There is no way that is not a "hack", for some definition of that word,
to do this in the case where the names are not related.

You have to do something like this:

  foo: .gen_abc_def
          <commands that use abc and def>

  .gen_abc_def: <prerequisites of abc and def>
          <build abc and def>
          @touch $@

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/