for loop causing error

From: Moore, Mathew L
Subject: for loop causing error
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:32:03 -0400

Hello make experts:

I am running make 3.79.1 on Windows NT.  When I run an empty for loop (the
shell is just cmd.exe) in a target, it generates a make error:

-----
clean:
        for %%i in (*.ilk *.vdb) do $(RM) $(RMFLAGS) "%%i"
-----

gives me:

gmake: [clean] Error 1263416

when there are no files with extension "ilk" or "vdb" in the working
directory (no error is generated if files exist).  I realize I can get
around the problem by preceding the command with the '-' to ignore errors,
but was wondering if anyone knew whether or not this is an inherent problem
due to cmd.exe.

The empty for loop seems to run fine from the command line.

Thanks for your input!

--Matt