help-libtasn1

Re: GeneralString, UniversalString, or UTF8String?

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: GeneralString, UniversalString, or UTF8String?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 20:09:34 +0700

[…]

 >> Although my experience with ASN.1 is limited, it seems like a
 >> suitable base format for such an application.  As per [1], my guess
 >> is that I should use either UniversalString or UTF8String to store
 >> Unicode text strings (though I don't understand the difference.)
 >> However, as per [2], the only character sequence type currently
 >> supported by GNU Libtasn1 is GeneralString.

 > We use UTF8String and UniversalString with libtasn1 in gnutls by
 > defining it as:

 > UTF8String ::= [UNIVERSAL 12] IMPLICIT OCTET STRING
 > UniversalString ::= [UNIVERSAL 28] IMPLICIT OCTET STRING

 > Of course there is no checking on whether the contents of these
 > fields conform to any standards.  They are treated as opaque.

        ACK, thanks!  Just as I've said, my experience with ASN.1 is
        limited, and I didn't know something like the above is possible.

        (I'm yet to find some good reference on ASN.1.  BTW, for a C
        reference, GNU Libc manual has served me for years.  So my guess
        is that some information on ASN.1 and its application may lie
        well within the scope of the GNU Libtasn1 manual?)

--
FSF associate member #7257