help-librejs

Re: [Help-librejs] About non-free JavaScript files

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] About non-free JavaScript files
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 04:11:50 +0300

The FLOSS Information <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since I am using a content management system, it will be difficult to remove
> some non-free JavaScript files.

Well.  ‘Content management system’ in a Web context usually stands [0] for a
some server-side software, that generates pages on-the-fly (‘dynamically’).
Such a WCMS cannot be used on github.io, which is a simple hosting for HTML &
Co.  So rather than CMS in its normal sense, you actually use a static website
generator, namely, as far as I see, a certain ‘Publii’ [1].

I am not familiar with it, and see no reason to expect that someone else on
that list is, so you’d better address your question to _their_ mailing list.
What I can say for sure, that what you asked is definitely possible.  Although,
I do admit, that it might be much easier not to patch the generator to prevent
it from adding nonfree scripts, but to take a benefit from the fact that it is
not a CMS and runs only on your localhost, and simply *cut them out* just
before uploading pages to GitHub.

[0] While abstracting from its usage, we have to agree with Dr. Stallman who
awarded that term with his personal “prize for vacuity”:  :-)

| The term “content management” takes the prize for vacuity.  “Content” means
“some sort of information,” and “management” in this context means “doing
something with it.”  So a “content management system” is a system for doing
something to some sort of information.  Nearly all programs fit that
description.
  — https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Content

[1] https://getpublii.com