help-libidn

Re: [bug-libunistring] Fwd: Disagreement between libidn2 and Python idna

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [bug-libunistring] Fwd: Disagreement between libidn2 and Python idna
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 13:19:24 +0100

Hi Bruno,

On 10.11.20 03:07, Bruno Haible wrote:
Tim Rühsen wrote:
  From what I can see in the libunistring sources, it is based on Unicode
9.0.0

Correct.

while 0x7fd has been introduced with Unicode 11.0 [2].

Yes, apparently so, when you look at http://www.unicode.org/charts/ .

So something here might be out of sync.

Yes, it is inevitable that different software supports different
versions of Unicode. Unicode is an evolving standard.

if there are any plans to upgrade to Unicode 11.0.

To me, adding a sensible API for meta-information on Emojis
has higher priority than just updating the table to Unicode 10, 11, 12.
The latter is useful only for a very small number of use-cases.

You are right - when one assumes the registrars don't support/allow new code points introduced with Unicode 10 or higher, updating Unicode is not relevant (at least for libidn2, which is the context). I actually have no idea if that assumption about registrars and code points is true or not.

Just in case someone finds time to update libunistring... where to begin ? Is gnulib the start point !?

Regards, Tim