help-libidn

Re: libidn2 next steps

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: libidn2 next steps
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 09:02:40 +0100

Tim Rühsen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Dienstag, 27. Dezember 2016 12:26:44 CET Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Now that Tim implemented TR46 and there is a release with it out, I'm
>> pondering some next steps for libidn2, which may include:
>>
>> * Better APIs to simplify conversion for applications
>>   - Compare libidn APIs that take various string forms.
>>   - In particular, the API should take entire domain names
>>     instead of only labels.
>>   - Also in particular, there should be an API for decoding.
>> * Other language bindings?  Compare libidn.
>>
>> More ideas are welcome!
>>
>> Continous integration on gitlab would be nice.  It was some time since I
>> played with it last time... things have likely changed.
>
> * Reducing static table size (tr46map.*)
>   - using a trie for idna_map would allow compact storing of codepoints /
> codepoint ranges and still having a fast access/search
>   - detect and eliminate doublettes in mapdata
>   - compact storing mapdata
>
> By 'compact storing' I think of the usage of a continuation bit:
> 1 byte: 0-0x7f -> 0xxxxxxx
> 2 bytes: 0x80-0x3fff ->1xxxxxxx 0xxxxxxx
> 3 bytes: 0x4000-0x1fffff ->1xxxxxxx 1xxxxxxx 0xxxxxxx
> 4 bytes: 0x200000-0xFFFFFFF -> 1xxxxxxx 1xxxxxxx 1xxxxxxx 0xxxxxxx
> 5 bytes: 0x10000000->0xFFFFFFFF -> 1xxxxxxx 1xxxxxxx 1xxxxxxx 1xxxxxxx
> 0xxxxxxx

Yeah, there is a lot of room for optimization in a library like this --
it should be relatively easy to try different storage algorithms and
benchmark them to see what works best in reality.  As you've noticed,
I've taken a really naïve approach initially to get simple (but slow)
code.  It is not always clear beforehand what results in better
performance or not.

/Simon