help-libidn

idna_to_ascii_lz success even if no conversion to current locale

From: Ray Satiro
Subject: idna_to_ascii_lz success even if no conversion to current locale
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 02:09:50 -0400

Hello,

I notice that idna_to_ascii_lz can return success even if the string could not be converted from the current locale due to being built without libiconv [1][2], and that doesn't appear to be documented. The result appears to be libidn without libiconv treats the locale encoded string as utf-8 and attempts to convert from utf-8 to punycode. Could someone explain if that is intended or not and whether there are any implications I should look into.

I am not subscribed to this mailing list so please CC me on reply. Thanks

[1]: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/tree/lib/idna.c?id=libidn-1-32#n588 [2]: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/tree/lib/toutf8.c?id=libidn-1-32#n103