help-libidn

wrong compiler flag detection

From: jens . rehsack
Subject: wrong compiler flag detection
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:58:53 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently trying to update libidn in pkgsrc on AIX 5.3 using xlC.
xlC manpage says following to -f and -W:
  Linking options
         -f<file_name>
                Names a file to store a list of object files for
                the compiler to pass to the linker. The <file_name>
                file should contain only the names of object files.
                There should be one object file per line.
  Compiler customization options
         -W<program>,<options_list>
                Gives the specified option(s) to the compiler
                program, <program>. <options_list> is a comma-
                separated list of one or more options. <program>
                can be one of the following:

                a = Assembler
                b = Low-level optimizer
                c = Compiler front end
                C = C++ compiler front end
                d = Disassembler
                E = CreateExportList utility
                f = c++filt utility
                I = High-level optimizer  - compile step
                L = High-level optimizer - link step
                l = Linker
                m = linkage helper (C++ only)
                p = Preprocessor

So it may a good idea to skip -W and -f compiler flag checks on anything
which is no gcc to prevent following.
cc -fdiagnostics-show-option -q64 -qarch=ppc64 -O2 -qstrict -qcpluscmt
-qmaxmem=-1 -qkeyword=inline
-I/opt/room/pkgsrc/devel/libidn/work/.buildlink/include -ma
-Wl,-R/opt/pkgsrc/lib -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/opt/pkgsrc/lib -o .libs/idn idn.o
-L/opt/room/pkgsrc/devel/libidn/work/.buildlink/lib ./.libs/libidn_cmd.a
-L../lib/.libs -lidn ../gl/.libs/libgnu.a -lintl -liconv -lc
-Wl,-blibpath:/opt/pkgsrc/lib:/opt/room/pkgsrc/devel/libidn/work/.buildlink/lib:/usr/lib:/lib:/opt/pkgsrc/lib:/opt/pkgsrc/lib

ld: 0706-005 Cannot find or open file: diagnostics-show-option
        ld:fopen(): No such file or directory
*** Error code 255

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /opt/room/pkgsrc/devel/libidn/work/libidn-1.12/src
*** Error code 1

More details you can read there:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/comphelp/v101v121/index.jsp

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Jens Rehsack

Fa. Manß & Partner

Fa. Manß & Partner
Gebäude B151
51368 Leverkusen, Deutschland

Tel:  +49 - 214 - 30 - 41 562
Fax: +49 - 214 - 30 - 31 625
E-Mail: address@hidden
Web: http://www.BayerBBS.com

Geschäftsführung: Vorsitzender Daniel Hartert   |   Arbeitsdirektor
Norbert Fieseler
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Klaus Kühn
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Leverkusen   |   Amtsgericht Köln, HRB 49895