help-libidn

Re: No idn_free documentation

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: No idn_free documentation
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:53:57 +0100

"Sisyphus" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> There's no mention of the idn_free function in either doc/libidn.info
> or doc/libidn.texi.
> Why is that ?
> What other functions are missing ?
> Where is idn_free documented in the source distro ?

See idn-free.h which contains this comment:

/* I don't recommend using this interface in general.  Use `free'.
 *
 * I'm told Microsoft Windows may use one set of `malloc' and `free'
 * in a library, and another incompatible set in a statically compiled
 * application that link to the library, thus creating problems if the
 * application would invoke `free' on a pointer pointing to memory
 * allocated by the library.  This motivated adding this function.
 *
 * The theory of isolating all memory allocations and de-allocations
 * within a code package (library) sounds good, to simplify hunting
 * down memory allocation related problems, but I'm not sure if it is
 * worth enough to motivate recommending this interface over calling
 * `free' directly, though.
 *
 * If you have any thoughts or comments on this, please let me know.
 */

That explains the reason it is not documented properly.

That's the only function that is not documented in the manual that I can
recall.

/Simon