help-libidn

Re: installation problem

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: installation problem
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 22:48:49 +0100

fcc <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user of libidn.  I installed it on my linux Redhat
> Enterprise 5.0 server with the prefix=/usr instead of the default
> /usr/local when calling ./configure, since there is nothing in
> /usr/local, i.e. everything is under /usr..  I then did a make and
> make install.  Using the examples given on gnu.org as well as my own
> test program, I get compile errors with one or more of the following,
> depending on the program being compiled
> (e.g. cc -o sample sample.c):

Hi!  Thanks for your interest.

> example2.c:(.text+0x216): undefined reference to `punycode_encode'
> example2.c:(.text+0x216): undefined reference to `punycode_decode'
> undefined reference to `stringprep_locale_charset'
> undefined reference to `stringprep_locale_to_utf8'
> undefined reference to `stringprep_nameprep'
> undefined reference to `stringprep'
> undefined reference to `stringprep_strerror'
> undefined reference to `idna_to_ascii_lz'
> undefined reference to `idna_to_unicode_lzlz'
> undefined reference to `idna_strerror'

You need to add -lidn to make the compiler find the functions in the idn
library.

> If I try:
>
> libtool cc -o example example.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs libstringprep`
> then I get the following errors:
>
> Package libstringprep was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libstringprep.pc'
> No package 'libstringprep' found
> *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
> *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.
> libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
> libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'
>
> Does anybody have any idea what the compile problems are?

Yes, the pkg-config name is 'libidn' and not libstringprep.  So please
try:

  libtool cc -o example example.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs libidn`

instead.  Does that work?

I noticed the libidn web page contained the command line you quoted.
That was a mistake and I have fixed it.  Thanks for reporting it.

Thanks,
/Simon