Re: Mach or Hurd can't find DVD drive

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: Mach or Hurd can't find DVD drive
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 00:10:43 +0100

Andrea G. Monaco, le ven. 08 janv. 2021 14:01:01 +0100, a ecrit:
> > So the ahci driver did see sd1, but somehow didn't properly discuss
> > with it, so yes it'd be a bug in the driver.
>
> Thanks!  But now I'm a bit stuck. How can I work on the driver and test
> it without a working system?
> I'm trying with Qemu, but I found no way to let the guest system see the
> dvd drive at low level.

I don't think you can passthrough a DVD device like this indeed.

What you can do is to either a second machine, or reboot, to switch
between

- running qemu to build a new gnumach kernel
- booting your system with it

Yes, that's not very convenient, but that's the way to debug hardware
that is used for the very boot of the system.

Samuel