Unable to boot; No such device or address

From: Robby Zambito
Subject: Unable to boot; No such device or address
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 18:39:11 -0500

Hello,

I'm trying to install Debian/Hurd on my laptop, but I am unable to boot
the machine. I downloaded and extracted the latest disk image from
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/latest/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.xz,
inserted the laptops hard drive into another machine, and used dd to burn the
image onto the drive. I tested the installation by passing the entire disk to
a virtual machine (created with virt-manager), and it ran fine. I popped
the drive back in my laptop, and it is unable to get past here:

    start ext2fs: ext2fs: device:hd0s2: No such device or address

I have tried switching between AHCI and IDE modes on my laptop, but it
gets stuck at the same spot either way.

For reference the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L875D-S7332.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robby