Re: Combining Hurd and Qubes OS for security reasons? Possible?

From: Richard Braun
Subject: Re: Combining Hurd and Qubes OS for security reasons? Possible?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:59:35 +0100

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:28:43PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> It will most probably be resistent to windows- and linux-oriented
> rootkits, since the implementation is different.  If there are flaws in
> the ACPI implementation of GNU Mach, there are probably ways to rootkit
> it.  GNU Mach however currently uses ACPI only for shutting the system
> down, so the exposure is low.  We'd however need it to eventually work
> with multicore processors.

The only part of ACPI really needed for SMP is the table that replaces
the MP Spec. See X15 [1] for an example. I highly doubt it would lead to
code execution. Those blobs mostly come from non architectural devices.

--
Richard Braun

[1] http://git.sceen.net/rbraun/x15.git/blob/HEAD:/arch/x86/machine/acpimp.c