Re: Ssh doesn't want to reuse ttys

From: Richard Braun
Subject: Re: Ssh doesn't want to reuse ttys
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 00:59:43 +0200

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 08:29:55AM +1100, James Haggerty wrote:
> Trying to understand how translators should work.
>
> I've noticed that every time I login to an ssh session I get another
> /hurd/term process on a new device. Now, of course, an ls /dev then gave me
> a large number of term processes, but this still feels messy... and there's
> apparently no easy way to cull unused translators (device or resource
> busy?). I guess they can just happily sit there, but I would still like ssh
> to reuuse an existing unoccupied /dev/tty* before it starts a new
> translator.
>
> Thoughts? What am I missing?

This is a long time bug I've just very recently fixed. The upstream Hurd
repository has been updated and the next Debian hurd packages won't
be affected any more.

Concerning processes not going away, this will be fixed during the next
few months as I'm working on proper thread destruction to make the
system dynamically scale along its usage (although it's still unsure
how effective this will be since all processes are actually servers when
queried with ps/top/procfs).

--
Richard Braun