Re: Hurd Newbie Question: Is Debian GNU/Hurd stable enough for programmi

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Re: Hurd Newbie Question: Is Debian GNU/Hurd stable enough for programming in C, C++, Ruby on Rails, or Python?
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 09:13:03 +0100

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 01:22 +0100, enaut wrote:
> On Mi 02 Nov 2011 17:38:53 CET, Mark Lies wrote:
> > Hello!
> I think watever you do installing and maintaining possibly extending
> hurd will take a lot of time leaving almost no time for coding. So if
> you want to play with Hurd and try some stuff and you have no deadlines
> for your coding just try it.

That's developing GNU/Hurd, the question was if Hurd can be used for
day-to-day work. I think it can, for the languages mentioned. Of course
there will be issues compared to a rock steady environment like
GNU/Linux or other.

> But if you have deadlines and a huge pile
> to code just use a one click install all distribution and code your
> stuff without the environment getting in your way.

Agreed.

> That said I should maybe mention that I only tried to install Hurd for
> about one week and gave on trying to get something usefull (I think my
> status was to get a commandline prompt but no network).

Did you install on a real box or in a VM? For a VM like qemu/kvm network
will work out of the box e.g. using the Debian installer. Xen is a
little more work to set up a network for, you have to use the tap
interface.