Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 01:05:34 +0100

Svante Signell, le Wed 03 Nov 2010 00:56:05 +0100, a écrit :

> I have tried vnc as Arne suggested, will do some more tests later. I
> did not have any luck for the keyboard with -vnc :1 -k sv and
> qvncviewer. In addition it is much slower than curses/default.
> The window size obtained was: 720x400.
> #> gvncviewer :1
> Connected to server
> Remote desktop size changed to 720x400
> Connection initialized

That'll get resize when you start X.

> > > Looks like I cannot run qemu in a window under X then with curses
> > > enabled?
> >
> > ?! curses is meant to make qemu fit _inside_ an xterm and not a separate
> > window, yes.
>
> I mean that since the xterm/gnome terminal has to be 80x25, running X
> with this window size, will be very low resolution, 640x480.

No, you won't get any graphical output at all. xterm is only able to
display text, not graphism!!

> How to
> get X running with or without curses in a terminal with a reasonable
> resolution, like 1280x1024x16. The qemu man page says one should use -vga
> std to be able to use larger resolutions. How?

By running -vga std, and then try to run Xorg, see whether it just
already uses a good resolution, else configure it, etc.

> > > One problem is still that when doing shutdown in the qemu window (same
> > > as the terminal window), the gnome/xterm window is unusable. How to
> > > get back to the terminal?
> >
> > What do you exactly mean by "doing shutdown in the qemu window"? Typing
> > "halt" at the hurd shell?  Mach will indeed not trigger the poweroff
> > mechanism so you have to kill qemu by hand from another terminal, yes,
> > or use alt-2 to switch to qemu's control console and type quit.
>
> Keyboard seem to be OK, but åäö etc are dead.

Yes, the curses frontend can not properly deal with such keys.

> Still no working scrollbar, but alt-2 works! Slower than default,
> faster than vnc and no grub boot menu!?

That's because grub uses a graphical mode by default.

> > > - How to change resolution in qemu, with -vga cirrus, std, etc?
> > > Especially when running X in a window later on.
> >
> > The usual qemu vs Xorg stuff. Try various combinations. IIRC Xorg can't
> > detect the cirrus memory size so you may have to set it by hand in
> > xorg.conf.
>
> How to get a resolution of 1280x1024x16 or at least 1024x768x16?

As said above.

> Do I have to define this VGA mode in the Gnome teminal,

Again, all an xterm will ever by able to display is just text, nothing
more. So don't use the -curses option if you want to start Xorg in the
Hurd Guest.

> I should be able to startx without an xorg.conf file?

Sure, that's how Xorg works nowadays.

Samuel