Re: Arch Hurd progress

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: Arch Hurd progress
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:20:46 +0200

Allan McRae, le Tue 13 Apr 2010 10:04:25 +1000, a écrit :
> We have passed several important milestones.   Firstly, we managed to
> cross compile a booting i686-pc-gnu system.

Cool!

> The major stumbling block there was gnumach.  When compiling for i686
> it requires -O1 to be used.  -O0 results in a build error and -O2
> results in the boot process stalling very, very early on.  There are
> no such issues for i[45]86.

Mmm, doesn't building with native i686 support and -O2 enable
vectorization, and thus the use of mmx/sse?  This is not supported in
kernel space for context switch performance reasons (like on Linux). Try
with -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow.

We probably need to enable them by default in the configure script.

> Once that was out of the way, the biggest issue we had was getting gcc
> to work natively.

What were the issues?  Just cross-compiling, or are patches needed? (in
addition to what we have in Debian)

> Our main focus is getting the basic system a bit more polished,

I guess this will be a lot easier (but a lot longer too), now :)

> we are doing quite well for just over three months progress.

Yes, clearly.

Samuel