Re: networking

From: Jakub Daniel
Subject: Re: networking
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:00:24 +0100

Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:55:22 +0100
From: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org>
Subject: Re: hurd networking
To: help-hurd@gnu.org

Jakub Daniel wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am running hurd in KVM, and i am also running ubuntu the same way.
>
> Ubuntu configures network correctly and it works right away.
> Hurd does not (this much i expected)
>
> but after going through the configuration of ubuntu i found nothing that
> would clarify this to me.
>
> i have the same nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf, i tried the same ip
> addresses, dhcp.... nothing helped
>
> any idea how to make it work, please?

Have you set up the network translator (pfinet)? The syntax is:

settrans -fgca /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i <interface> -a <ip address> -m
<subnet mask> -g <gateway ip>

I did.. with qemu i would use: settrans -fgca /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 192.168.1.180 -m 255.255.255.0 -g 192.168.1.255

but it doesnt work with kvm.. i tried other addresses (my host obtains ip from dhcp.. so i tried to make bridge etc... but with QEMU it worked so there must be a way to make it work with kvm)

(from http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/translator/examples.html)

HTH,
Emilio