Re: hurd help

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: hurd help
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 02:06:21 +0100

Hi,

First of all: This list is meant for end user support. Your questions
are more developer-related, and would be more appropriate on the
bug-hurd list.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:53:51AM -0500, Neema Yuseph wrote:

> we have ported basic x into hurd

What do you mean exactly? X has been working on the Hurd in the past.
There are working xserver 1.4.x packages in Debian GNU/Hurd.

Presently I'm aware of two issues with X on Hurd: Never releases (1.5+)
won't work because of missing support in libpciaccess. And some users
(including myself) recently have problems with the local socket
transport not working anymore.

So, what did you actually do? Which version did you port, on what system
are you running, and what was actually done in ways of porting?

> and our project is to port a window manager into hurd.

Most window managers are actually working out of the box, and available
in Debian GNU/Hurd.

> and if there are no portable window managers then please do help with
> steps to port gnome into hurd.

GNOME almost works; there are only a few missing pieces. You can get a
picture of what's missing by looking at

   http://unstable.buildd.net/buildd/hurd-i386_Failed.html

-antrik-