Re: Network

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Network
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:06:16 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 02:04:53AM +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:

>   /hurd/pfinet: eth0: (os/device) no such device settrans:
>   /hurd/pfinet: Translator died
[...]
> Is the problem my network card not recognized or something?

Yes, it means the kernel doesn't see the card -- probably there is no
driver for it.

You can confirm that by running "devprobe eth0": If it doesn't print
anything, that means the kernel doesn't know the device.

> If i run ifconfig, it says command not found.

There is no ifconfig on Hurd. All the networking is controlled through
the translator command line (what you pass in settrans). You can
check/update the settings of the running translator with "fsysopts
/servers/socket/2" -- but this wouldn't work in this case, as the
translator didn't even start...

-antrik-