Re: making progress

From: Mr. Cheese
Subject: Re: making progress
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:51:38 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 10:00 pm, Michael Banck <mba...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 01:11:59PM -0800, Mr. Cheese wrote:
> > I'm making progress I feel, but I still am having trouble getting GNU
> > to boot for the first time.
> > I'm following the Debian GNU/Hurd installation instructions from the
> > site and all seems to go well until I attempt to boot into GNU Hurd
> > for the first time. I set everything in Grub and when I boot it
> > appears to be going ok until I get this message:
> > PCI device 'ADMtek Centaur-P' was not assigned an IRQ.
> > It will not be activated.
> > I understand this is the ethernet interface. Is there a way I can fix
> > this problem?
>
> Does the boot process stop there?  Does it reboot?
>
> What kind of computer is this (CPU/chipset, how much RAM)?  It could be
> that GNU Mach does not support your box.
>
> Michael

Yes the boot process appears to stop there. It just hangs there for at
least 10 minutes.
The computer is an old emachines etower 110 that I found lying around.
It has 192Mb of RAM (an odd number I know) and an intel Celeron
processor I believe.
I have read about the Hurd not liking too much RAM but I thought it
was only if you had more than 768Mb of RAM?