Re: Cross-compile GNU/Hurd?

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Cross-compile GNU/Hurd?
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:15:59 +0200

Hello!

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 10:30:45AM +0200, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> The following two links didn't open, are they temporarily down?
> http://nic-nac-project.de/~schwinge/tmp/cross-gnu-env
> http://nic-nac-project.de/~schwinge/tmp/cross-gnu

Yes, that server (which I don't administer, by the way) was hit by a DOS
attack.  Should be back now.

> I sent an e-mail to Vitalie Ciubotaru, and he provided me with your
> cross-gnu and cross-gnu-env scripts he has used. I haven't tested them
> yet. I have put the scripts here:
> http://hurd.in/bin/view/Hurd/CrossCompilationGuide

Angle brackets are not being escaped.

> This is also linked from here:
> http://hurd.in/bin/view/Hurd/HurdResources

Would you link to integrate all that stuff into the main Hurd wiki,
<http://www.bddebian.com/~wiki/>, instead of beginning to duplicate so
much?

> -----
> | What specifically are you looking for?
> \--
>
> I would like to know if:
>
> 1. The images built from the cross-build setup can be test run (GNU
> Mach+GNU Hurd) with qemu on x86? This is to speed up
> development/testing with qemu, and for those who don't have hardware.

Yes.

> 2. We can provide Eclipse/Anjuta plugins for the above development
> environment?

I've never been using such an IDE (I assume that Eclipse is an IDE,
right?), but sure, why not.  My IDE is Emacs.

> 3. There is a possibility to use this build environment with scratchbox?
> http://www.scratchbox.org/

I don't know that project at all.  I know Dan Kegel's crosstool a bit and
once pondered about integrating my cross compiler script into it, but
gave up on that again, as it's very Linux-specific.  The same may be true
for scratchbox, but I don't know.  I decided to use the script simply
as-is.

Regards,
 Thomas