Re: Java device drivers

From: Andrea Bolognani
Subject: Re: Java device drivers
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:52:38 +0200

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:12:46 +0200
"massimo s." <devicerandom@gmail.com> wrote:

> faif@gnu.org ha scritto:
> > We should not also forget that Java is not yet full implemented as free
> > software (or am I missing something?) And we want to keep hurd 100 % free
> > software, don't we?
>
> I wonder that having an interface for high-level languages like Java
> could also allow Python, Ruby, Perl etc. based drivers. Which would be
> really cool to have.

We should base the user-space driver framework on GObject.
That way, we will be able to create bindings to a lot of scripting languages,
including all the one you mentioned.

But I wonder -- do we really want to write drivers in such languages?
Drivers need to be fast, and all these languages are slower than C.

--
KiyuKo <eof AT kiyuko DOT org>