Re: HURD install confusion

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: HURD install confusion
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 22:38:14 +0530

On 7/8/07, Arguri <larguri_2006@gmx.net> wrote:

It says that for the installation mentioned on
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install needs another OS. It
explicitely says that the current installer for the Debian/Hurd
Distribution is not very nice. This is true, but you can still use one
of the two options: Cross-install or CD install.

which one is better in these contexts:

1.)  which one will give me an updated system ?
2.) which one is less error prone ?

Right. CD1 starts a minimal installer which helps you to do the steps
mentioned on http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-install . It starts a
Linux system and the install program which lets you partition your disk
and format a partition. It then extracts the archive. After this you
have to reboot. If you already have grub installed you should add the
Hurd menu entry and after that start in single user mode (-s in kernel
line). Run ./native-install, reboot int single mode again, run
./native-install again, add fstab entrys and then you are ready to
start. (I'm not sure if I mentioned everything, but this is in very
short what you have to do).

6 steps:

1.) very 1st boot in single user mode
2.) ./native-install
3.) reboot in single user mode
4.) ./native-install
5.) add hard-disk and removable media entries to "/etc/fstab"
6.) reboot without "-s" in kernel line

BTW, what ./native-install will do ?

It is used as a snapshot to get a more or less useable Hurd installation
out of the box. You should try the CD method. More or less you should
consider doing whatever you want to do inside of a vm (like qemu).

i can use cross-install method, it is not a big problem. problems will
start when i will do 1st boot :-)

If you mean S-ATA then there is a little problem, because GNUMach cannot
handle S-ATA disks. Then you must use a vm (or another pc or another disk).

my SATA went corrupted, so i got simply an ATA for now :-)

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/