Re: Hurd interconnection through linux

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: Hurd interconnection through linux
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:07:12 +0200

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 08:47:43AM +0200, Richard Braun wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:15:47PM +0100, Christopher Devitt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just installed debian hurd, which was surprisingly easy, I'm now
> > trying to figure out a way to connect it to the internet. I have a wifi
> > network, now obviously I can't connect straight onto that,  but is it
> > possible that I connect my desktop, with hurd on it, to my laptop with
> > an ethernet cable and use the laptop as a gateway. The laptop has debian
> > linux on it.
>
> The latest versions of GNU Mach support some wireless devices though
> I've never tried that myself. What you need is a supported device. Once
> you got that, you setup pfinet the usual way.

Older PCMCIA Prism WLAN cards work (those which use the orinoco or
hostap driver I think), others might work as well.

You need gnumach-cardmgr and gnumach-wireless-tools (or whatever they're
called, Debian packages are available on ftp.gnuab.org) for the
userspace part, and some manual configuration of /etc/pcmcia/*.opts is
probably needed as well.

Michael