Re: Hurd interconnection through linux

From: Richard Braun
Subject: Re: Hurd interconnection through linux
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 08:47:43 +0200

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:15:47PM +0100, Christopher Devitt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed debian hurd, which was surprisingly easy, I'm now
> trying to figure out a way to connect it to the internet. I have a wifi
> network, now obviously I can't connect straight onto that,  but is it
> possible that I connect my desktop, with hurd on it, to my laptop with
> an ethernet cable and use the laptop as a gateway. The laptop has debian
> linux on it.

The latest versions of GNU Mach support some wireless devices though
I've never tried that myself. What you need is a supported device. Once
you got that, you setup pfinet the usual way.

If your laptop runs Linux, you can use it as a gateway, yes. Basically,
you need to do these few steps :
setup the network on the laptop<->desktop segment (e.g. using ifconfig).
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $OUTPUT_IF -j MASQUERADE

Maybe you'll need a bit of tweaking but this should work fine for most
cases. Good luck.

--
Richard Braun