read-only file system after installation

From: Miles Thelonius
Subject: read-only file system after installation
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:50:13 -0500

Hello people,

I've just installed Hurd. The boot is ok, or I don't have time to see any error message, I get the shell command line. I set the terminal type, run 'install-native', but it exists with an error message "Your system is not identified". I presume that `uname -s` doesn't work, because of 'settrans', which, in its turn, doesn't work and gives the message - "/servers/socket/1: read-only file system".

I also notice that '/tmp/console' and '/hurd/term' are both read-only.

Finally, invocation of any command is accompanied with the message "start_pipline: pgrp pipe: Protocol family not supported".

I installed the base system with 'crosshurd' Debian package (I'm under etch now).

I thank you in advance for any help.