Re: Hurd questions

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: Hurd questions
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:16:24 +0200

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 08:20:09PM +1300, Shams wrote:
> Hope that if a micro-kernel is chosen for Hurd other than Mach or if a Mach
> rewrite takes place, then the language "still" remains C/C++ otherwise I
> think
> it is going to deter a lot of developers.
>
> I have read up on Coyotos but it seems to be using BitC, which I think will
> frighten a lot of developers?

The idea of using an existing microkernel is that Hurd developers do not
need to bother with its implementation, only with the interfaces - in
practise this did not work out for Mach as it was not getting further
developped upstream, but hopefully it will be true for the next
microkernel we choose.

Michael