ext2fs.static crashing at start-up (was: kernel debugger)

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: ext2fs.static crashing at start-up (was: kernel debugger)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:30:54 -0400

[CCed to bug-hurd.]

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 02:46:53PM +0300, Constantine Kousoulos wrote:
> The problem appears when the binary /hurd/ext2fs.static executes.
>
> Don't i need the source file as well to debug the binary?

Uh, I don't really know how I'd start to debug `ext2fs.static' crashing
at system start-up.

> Where is that source file?

<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/download.html>

However note that the Debian GNU/Hurd installation contains a patch to
make `ext2fs' and `ext2fs.static' handle ext2 file systems that are
bigger than 2 Gib.  That patch is not yet applied to the main source
branch.

> Can i build a new ext2fs.static from source?

Sure you can, but to build it on a non GNU/Hurd system you need a cross
compiler, which I'm currently about to start preparing to update the
documentation for--isn't that nice...  ;-)

In the meantime you can try something different: use an older version of
`ext2fs.static', that doesn't have the above mentioned patch.  Fetch
<URL:http://nic-nac-project.de/~schwinge/tmp/ext2fs-pre_ogi.static.bz2>,
`bunzip2' it and store it as `/hurd/ext2fs.static' on your GNU/Hurd
partition, perhaps saving the original `/hurd/ext2fs.static' in case you
find a need for it later.  As I said, the partition you installed
GNU/Hurd on must be smaller than 2 GiB if you decide to go this route.

If you can give that a try and succeed to boot GNU/Hurd, Ogi knows what
to work on...  ;-)

Regards,
 Thomas