Integration of new users

From: Anders Breindahl
Subject: Integration of new users
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:49:16 +0200

Hello,

I was just starting to reply to the post of ``Fraser'' on bug-hurd. He, as
many before him, offer his services to an almost alarming extent: He offers
to (re)learn to program in order to help the project.

This sort of postings are typically taken very inserious, and sometimes even
ignored completely. Beside the rudeness of such, I can't imagine that we
can't be used for anything.

This leads me to ask (again): How are users of GNU going to be integrated? I
might be completely lost, but trawling through the web hasn't been beneficial
for me to move on past the installation and basic setup.
The documentation ends at the point where the user has a partly-working and
user-interactionly bugged system. I hope that there is potential for getting
more to work (like the screenshots of KDE or GNOME promises), but that is
besides the point: The non-native-hacker users are left in the complete dark,
as far as I can see it.

Am I missing something, or is there a general lack of documentation and/or
means of interacting with the users? If so, please provide some information
so the not-so-hackerish-users may contribute, too. Hell, I don't even know
how to file a bug report -- nor what to report.

Please spare a minute to comment, and excuse my irritation: I have developed
strong feelings for this project. :)
Regards, Anders