Re: Help-hurd Digest, Vol 33, Issue 6

From: kevin bullock
Subject: Re: Help-hurd Digest, Vol 33, Issue 6
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:36:12 -0500

Good evening,
I have read the GNU/Hurd installation guide -- multiple times. It's the reason I looked elsewhere for instructions. The instructions below are different from the guide's.

The directions are vague -- it seems to me. I admit I am very much a noob, but I believe in RMS, GNU, and the Free Software Foundation. I would very much like to do whatever I can to help; albeit a small contribution. The installation guide does not seem user-friendly:

  1. The cross-install method is missing in directions.  How is this done?
  2. How big should the swap be?
  3. How does one do a mount point? If I type "mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2
     /gnu" I am told the directory does not exist.  Do I mkdir first?
     In the home directory?
  4. Try as I might, the partition naming is escaping me.  I have two
     partitions on a 1.2gb HD.  hda1 is root and hda2 is swap.  What is
     this to GRUB?  I thought GRUB's position on the controller was
     zero based and its partition was one based.  So my root would be
     (to GRUB) hd0s1?

Perhaps this project is for seasoned users and I am simply over my head.

Still trying,
Kevin

  uppermem 500000
  root=(hd0,0)

So far so good...

  kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s1 -s
  module=/boot/gnumach.gz
  boot

That is wrong, and you really ought to 0) Write the following in a
menu.lst file, 1) read the Debian GNU/Hurd installation guide.

Here is what you should type (adjust the values for your
partition/drive):

kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd2s1
module /hurd/ext2fs.static --multiboot-command-line=${kernel-command-line}
--host-priv-port=${host-port} --device-master-port=${device-port}
--exec-server-task=${exec-task} -T typed ${root} $(task-create) $(task-resume)
module /lib/ld.so.1 /hurd/exec $(exec-task=task-create)

That is three lines, not five or more.