Re: Hurd simply reboots

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: Hurd simply reboots
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:25:56 +0200

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:57:26PM +0200, Nicolas CANIART wrote:
> Hi all !
>
>   As Kevin I recently try to install the Hurd, i think i should say
> manually (using crosshurd for the base followed by the 2 native-install
> + reboot). Is that what you call the manual install ?
>   If it is you may be warn that it is currently broken : some package(s)
> depends on slang1 package which is not in the repository (tried the 3
> one given in tthe debian install-guide + this one :
>   ftp://ftp.eila.jussieu.fr/pub/Debian-gnuab/dists/unreleased/).

Indeed, this is a known problem.  I have recompiled slang1, but the main
Debian ftp server is offline due to relocation right now, so I will not
be able to upload the packages for a while.

>   I also have question concerning stability, the system running never
> more than one hour... yes I know that Hurd is still in an early stage of
> development... but those crashes generally corrupt my fs and all y can
> do is reinstalling the system. I've seen that I may use sync before
> reboot... but sync seems to freeze everything... looks like a vicious
> circle. Do you have any idea to enhance the situation ?

Try doing any I/O intensive stuff (like compiling) on a seperate
partition, your / partition should then stay pretty clean.

If you cannot sync, your file system translator is probably already
hanging, not much one can do then.

Michael