Re: Problems with the console

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Problems with the console
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:03:36 +0000

Alex <io_alex_2002@yahoo.fr> writes:

Sorry, I forgot answering this email, thanks for the reminder.

> Marco Gerards wrote:
>
>>Can you show us the output of the following commands? :
>>
>>cat /etc/ttys
>>

> tty1    "/libexec/getty 38400"        hurd        on    secure trusted
> console
> tty2    "/libexec/getty 38400"        hurd        on    secure trusted
> console
> tty3    "/libexec/getty 38400"        hurd        on    secure trusted
> console
> tty4    "/libexec/getty 38400"        hurd        on    secure trusted
> console
> tty5    "/libexec/getty 38400"        hurd        on    secure trusted
> console
> tty6    "/libexec/getty 38400"        hurd        on    secure trusted
> console

Are the lines wrapped like this or only because your mail client
wrapped them?

>>showtrans /dev/vcs
>>

> /hurd/console

Right.

>>showtrans /dev/tty[123456]
>>

> showtrans /dev/tty1 :
> /hurd/term /dev/tty1 hurdio /dev/vcs/1/console
>
> showtrans /dev/tty2 :
> /hurd/term /dev/tty2 hurdio /dev/vcs/2/console

IIRC this is correct.

>>showtrans /hurd/console
>>

> nothing !?!

That's right.

For my feeling everything is correct.  I assume you used the newest
Hurd package and rebooted the system after configuring the console
server.

IIRC you said both the vga and ncursesw consoles did not work.  In
that case I guess something is wrong with the console server or
something around there.  You could have a look at the PIDs of the
servers and see if they don't change (=die).

Can you access the console server using ls?  For example:
ls /dev/vcs/1

Does that show all nodes (console, display, input)?

--
Marco