Re: X-Window

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: X-Window
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:30:54 +0200

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:50:05PM +0700, arief# wrote:
> Maybe this is repeating, but I need to make sure.

Please do not unnecessarily cross-post, most people read all three
(debian-hurd, bug-hurd, help-hurd) lists.

> I try to run X, so I do apt-get install x-window-system-core rxvt and
> fvwm just like the manual in debian web said.

This is a Debian GNU/Hurd problem, so please post those issues to
debian-hurd next time. The gnu-hurd is only for genuine bugs/problems in
the Hurd servers.

> And then try MAKEDEV kbd,
> oops, no kbd found by MAKEDEV.

You need to start the Hurd console with the argument --repeat=/dev/kbd
these days to run X. Do something like

console -d vga -d pc_kbd --repeat=/dev/kbd -d pc_speaker /dev/vcs

> Digging thru archives, I can see that we need to settrans /dev/kbd
> /hurd/kbd /dev/kbd. Done that, failed too, no kbd in /hurd.

/dev/kbd is generated when starting the Hurd console, the old /hurd/kbd
translator is not avaiable anymore.

> Oh one more, I just read that we need Marco's patch for startx when
> 'console' started. I did start console before I run startx, is that what
> made it failed?

See above.

Michael