Re: random device?

From: Rian Hunter
Subject: Re: random device?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:51:28 -0400

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 11:06, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Derek Davies <ddavies@ddavies.net> writes:
>
> > Marco Gerards <metgerards@student.han.nl> writes:
> >>
> >> It even seems that there is a patch for GNU Mach to add a entropy
> >> device...
> >
> > There's a patch for OSKit/Mach at:
> >
> >   http://www.ddavies.net/oskit-entropy/index.html
> >
> > But OSKit/Mach is basically useless unless you're goal is to fix lots
> > and lots of bugs.  On and off (mostly off) I work on porting it back
> > to GNU/Mach 1.x.  There's nothing hard about this I just find it hard
> > to keep focused - someone could pretty easily take the patch above and
> > port it.
>
> What I meant is that on that site Rian mentioned, in that tarball
> there is a patch for GNU Mach 1.x... Or isn't this stuff useful?

Just for kicks i tried out the patch at
http://ibofobi.dk/stuff/hurd-entropy, but it was made against the 2000
gnumach tree, so it doesn't work exactly well. I think the files would
have to be manually patched to account for the changes since 2000. So it
isn't useful yet, i'll try to get it to work today though because i
think a random device is really important. I do think that a user-space
entropy daemon is a better way to go though, but since it isn't possible
to have a truly competent one under Mach, an in-kernel device is the
best way to go for now.
-rian