Re: kaffe/GCC on GNU Hurd

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: kaffe/GCC on GNU Hurd
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:58:27 +0200

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:13:43AM -0000, Gaurav  Ganeriwal wrote:
> I am trying to install C + JAVA support on GNU HURD. For this i am
> looking to install kaffe and GCC Complier.
>
> 1. For GCC Complier
>
>    I used apt-get -f install gcc, this command did installed GCC on my
> system but unable to locate header files. I searched on my system
> there were no header files corrosponding to C support. How can i
> remove this error? How can i make Header Files visible to GCC.

You should install the gcc-3.3, make and libc0.3-dev packages I guess.
Try installing 'build-essential', that should give you a reasonable
simplistic build environment (although I haven't tested whether it works
lately)

> 2. For Kaffe
>
>    Again i used apt-get -f install kaffe, this command terminates with
> an error message stating kaffe is in package list but not able to
> install as no possible candidate to provide installable binary.  Form
> where to get? how to install?  Should i use some other JVM?

I don't believe Kaffe (or any other JVM for that matter) has been ported
to GNU/Hurd yet. Perhaps you'll have your most luck with gcj, but that
does not seem to exist for Debian GNU/Hurd yet, either.

Michael