Re: Emacs21 : the Backspace key

From: m_m
Subject: Re: Emacs21 : the Backspace key
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 02:05:11 +0000 (UTC)

Marco Gerards <metgerards <at> student.han.nl> writes:

> That is weird.

Yes because the question from the FAQ:

-Why does the Backspace key invoke help?

in my case would to be:

-Why does the Backspace key invoke always (in Emacs), the "delete the left
character", either in console or in all the Xterms on X11, with the only
exception for the first Xterm in which Emacs is called (also many times), so
that, in this case, the one click of the Backspace makes nothing and the double
click of this key invoke help?

About your post for helping me, thank you! :), but I'm not able to use it
because I don't know and I had never a good feeling with *tty things :/

I haven't found the file .Xdefaults so I put your string of example

 stty erase ^?

in .xinitrc  --wrong??--
because there I've already put good lines as:

 # use 'xev' for keycode
 xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = dead_grave"
 xmodmap -e "keycode 116 = dead_acute"

that they allow to have the vocals with accent on an Xterm only pushing one of
the 2 keys with the M$ flags on a US keyboard and then pushing the key of the
vocal that you want accented,

but then, with the "stty" example, X11 freezed at the its first gray screen :D
... fortunately I can return easy at the console with a Ctrl-Alt-_Backspace_! :)

I tried also with an 'emacswiki' line

 xterm*ttyModes: erase ^?

but this string makes only nothing here.

Regards,
 m_m