Re: If QNX is successful, why NOT GNU Microkernels

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: If QNX is successful, why NOT GNU Microkernels
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:24:37 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:28:10PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:30:12PM +0100, Niels Möller wrote:
> > The point of the Hurd is make file systems (as well as some other
> > things that traditionally live in kernel land) fun and *easy* for
> > ordinary users to run, install and hack.
>
> But then, you have projects like http://lufs.sourceforge.net/ which
> seem to give you the equivalent under Linux.  It seems to me the main
> reason why something like that isn't standard in Linux or BSD kernels
> is the lack of a decent security model for them.

Indeed.

> What are these other things, apart from the passive translators[1]?
> [1] Very nice, but also lacking a working security model.

We have a working security model, thank-you-very-much (note: the current
implementation has its own flaws, but we know the fix to all known-flaws).
If you have any particular criticism, please say it out loud.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/