Re: install problems

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: install problems
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:28:50 +0200

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 11:08:49PM +0200, Marian-Nicolae V. Ion wrote:

> I: Extracting /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.85-7+kbsd.1_all.deb...
> tar: ./usr/sbin/update-rc.d: Cannot open: File exists
> I: Extracting /var/cache/apt/archives/tar_1.13.25-6_hurd-i386.deb...
> tar: ./sbin/rmt: Cannot open: File exists

This is package conflict stuff, probably can be ignored.

> 2) running native-install for the 1st time displayed several times
> the error message "chown root: invalid user". I presumed that this
> is due to the fact that there were no /etc/passwd and /etc/group files,
> so reinstalled all with crosshurd and _before_ booting into Hurd
> I've copied /share/base-passwd/passwd.master as /etc/passwd and the
> same for group.master
> After this modification, 1st native-install was OK.

crosshurd should copy them during tarball generation. Could you file a
bug in debian BTS for that?

> 3) booting again in single mode (for the 2nd native-install) has
> displayed some error messages:
>
> start /hurd/ext2fs.static: hd04: bad access, block=28, count=2,
>       blockend=30, nr.sect...
> end_request: I/O error, dev. 03:04, sector 28
>
> Maybe it is due to the fact that hurd is installed on an extended
> partition?

No, I actualy got this one when gnu was installed in normal partition
(and IIRC there were reports from other people having the same problem).

I have no idea on what happens here, anyone could have a look at this? It can
be easily reproduced by simply installing with crosshurd or from the tarball
at http://people.debian.org/~rmh/gnu/

> 5) after login as root it displays the following:
>
> # -bash: mesg: command not found

This is from the sysvinit package. We haven't ported it yet.

> So, taking all these into account, should I consider my system
> functional? or I still miss something?

Sounds to me like problem #3 is really critical for functionality.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)