Re: install problems

From: Marian-Nicolae V. Ion
Subject: Re: install problems
Date: 25 Oct 2003 23:08:49 +0200

I've tried to install Hurd using crosshurd (version 1.3.3) and
I've encountered several problems, that I would like to submit
to your attention:

1) when running crosshurd, while downloading packages, it displayed
the following messages:

I: Extracting /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.85-7+kbsd.1_all.deb...
tar: ./usr/sbin/update-rc.d: Cannot open: File exists
I: Extracting /var/cache/apt/archives/tar_1.13.25-6_hurd-i386.deb...
tar: ./sbin/rmt: Cannot open: File exists

2) running native-install for the 1st time displayed several times
the error message "chown root: invalid user". I presumed that this
is due to the fact that there were no /etc/passwd and /etc/group files,
so reinstalled all with crosshurd and _before_ booting into Hurd
I've copied /share/base-passwd/passwd.master as /etc/passwd and the
same for group.master
After this modification, 1st native-install was OK.

3) booting again in single mode (for the 2nd native-install) has
displayed some error messages:

start /hurd/ext2fs.static: hd04: bad access, block=28, count=2,
        blockend=30, nr.sect...
end_request: I/O error, dev. 03:04, sector 28

Maybe it is due to the fact that hurd is installed on an extended
partition?

4) booting in the multi-user mode seems to be OK, although it ends
with some error messages such as:

        /var/log/news.crit: no such file or directory
        /var/log/news.err: no such file or directory...
        /dev/xconsole: no such file or directory...

5) after login as root it displays the following:

# -bash: mesg: command not found

So, taking all these into account, should I consider my system
functional? or I still miss something?

Regards,

M. Ion