Re: How to cross-compile the hurd

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: How to cross-compile the hurd
Date: 12 Sep 2003 18:56:32 +0100

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 21:50, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Peter Wainwright <prw@ceiriog1.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'd like to help with the Hurd, but I can't get to first
> > base...
> > I tried a binary distribution (J2) but it wouldn't boot
> > - looks like interrupt conflicts with my ethernet card
> > since "eepro100..." was the last thing I saw before the
> > screen went blank.
>
> Do you have an eepro100?  This sounds like a GNUMach problem.
>
> > So I am trying to cross compile from my existing system
> > (which is Pink Tie 9, not Debian, but I do have dpkg).
> > I tried to follow the instructions in hurd/INSTALL-cross,
> > but no luck.
>
> I consider crosscompiling a waste of time.  Please don't do that.

This advice I have seen before. I wish I could have avoided it,
but the whole problem is that I can't get the CD binary distribution
to work, therefore I can't run the Hurd, therefore I can't do
native compilation... I can't pull myself up "by my bootstraps".
I was trying to compile a mach kernel without the conflicting
devices so that I could boot.
If it is true that Hurd (or GNU mach) cannot handle interrupt
sharing,  is it possible to disable the checks for certain
devices interactively at boot time? Otherwise I need some kind of kernel
which does not have conflicting devices.
[One of the other replies gives a pointer to something which
might be what I'm looking for... I will check it out later.]

Peter

--
Peter Wainwright <prw@ceiriog1.demon.co.uk>