Re: "network administrator" in GNU/Hurd

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: "network administrator" in GNU/Hurd
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:40:35 +0200 (CEST)

Replying to my own post:

> Actually, it would be nice to port the jail(8) mechanism to the Hurd.  We
> could perhaps even rename it to matrix(8)... ;-) Anybody volunteering?

If someone is interested in this, I'd suggest to start experimenting
with sub-Hurds (you can start a new set of Hurd servers from within
the Hurd). In a nutshell, a sub hurd _can_ provide a virtualized
environment, similar to jail(8), when configured properly. There are
some issues like synchronizing access to devices which need to be
addressed, but this looks like a manageable task. Once problems with
sub-Hurd are sorted out, a jail(2) syscall and command tools like
FreeBSD's could be added to glibc as well.

--
Farid Hajji. http://www.farid-hajji.net/address.html