Re: Multiple usernames for single UID

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: Multiple usernames for single UID
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 22:20:47 -0700

Budi Rahardjo wrote:

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 10:29:53AM -0700, Barry deFreese wrote:
Can someone explain to me the advantage of being able to have multiple usernames for a single UID?

Being able to assign an ID to different (real) persons.
For example, you would like to manage a server with 3 admins (or more,
I have had an occasion where they were five of us).
If you have one password, then the three admins have to have the same
password. If you change the password quite often (recommended), it is
difficult for 3 persons to remember the same password and to communicate
the change. There are also cases where one of the admin might have to
change the password ASAP, eg. when she found the server has been
compromised. Basically, ... a hassle.

So, having three admins with three different usernames with single UID
is preferable.
Also, in terms of accountability, it is easier to document who did what.
(Which admin modified which files, etc.)

Hope it helps.

-- budi

Budi,

Yes some. Though I have to agree with Bjorn's response. Isn't this what groups and/or different levels of authority are for? Shouldn't there be one true "root" and the others be more root equivilents? I hope this doesn't come across as snide, I am merely curious.

Thanks for the reply!!

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.