Re: Gentoo GNU/Hurd

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Gentoo GNU/Hurd
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:03:59 +0100

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 08:23:21PM -0500, Jon Portnoy wrote:

> Yeah, I was. Actually, I refer to Gentoo as Gentoo
> GNU/Linux regardless of what's on the website (because I feel
> GNU/Linux is the right thing to say).

"GNU/Hurd" makes sense to me when compared with "GNU/Linux", so your
position seems coherent. I can imagine you aren't able to change
the "Gentoo Linux" in the main site to "Gentoo GNU/Linux", though ;)

> I find that Gentoo GNU/Hurd makes
> it clear that it's not Linux. I feel that "Gentoo GNU" may confuse
> people - it'll confuse people who know only of GNU in connection of
> Linux and it'll confuse people who are used to hearing the Hurd called
> just "Hurd." Gentoo GNU/Hurd clarifies that it's the Gentoo distribution
> with the GNU userland combined with the Hurd.

maybe you're right in that it's pragmaticaly better. i have my doubts on
wether people reading "Gentoo GNU/Hurd" will think of it as a distribution
of GNU, but looks like one way or the other some sort of confusion can't be
totaly avoided :(

--
Robert Millan

make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.

Another world is possible - Just say no to genocide