Re: Vortex NIC problem

From: Joachim Nilsson
Subject: Re: Vortex NIC problem
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 07:42:35 +0100 (CET)

Ciro Cavani said:
> Hi,

Hello!

> I have a 3Com 3c905C-TX [Tornado] that I  believe it is compatible with GNU
> Mach and OSKit-Mach vortex driver, but it never works in Hurd (I already use
> it on NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux... the NIC had a similar problem with linux
> < 2.2.17).
> On GNU Mach, the device seem it is running because there is an eth0, then I
> set translator pfinet, but I can't ping the gateway server.
> It is like this (as it happens this was on bochs, but is the same):
> hurd:~# ping 161.24.72.1
> 4 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
> On OSKit-Mach, that I compile from CVS, when boot it show a common message
> of device drive but no eth0 device probed. The translator die before any
> ping.

You should get a better result with GNUmach 1.2 rather than with OSKit-Mach.
This because the former has a newer driver than the latter. So, it should
work - as it does for Matt.

In GNUmach 1.2 there is support for the 3c905C Tornado. See the following URL:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/hurd/gnumach/linux/src/drivers/net/Attic/3c59x.c?rev=1.3&only_with_tag=gnumach-1-branch&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

You also see this when booting

  3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker ...

While in the currently released OSKit, available from, amongst other places:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/oskit/oskit/linux/src/drivers/net/3c59x.c?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

There you can find the string:

   3c59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker ...

I have patches for the OSKit to bring it's Linux drivers up to par
with Linux 2.2.22, but I haven't yet gotten any time to integrate
them with the Savannah OSKit tree. If you'd like to try anyway you
can get them from the Hurd Wiki at:

   http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/JoachimNilssonHurdPage

You also need Daniel Wagner's Mach patches, but that's another
story. See the mailing list archives for that stuff:

   http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2003-01/msg00088.html

Or the Hurd Wiki, again:

   http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Mach/OskitMachPatches

If you don't feel like building OSKit-Mach again you could checkout
the gnumach-1-branch from CVS, lift in the Linux 2.2.24 3c59x.c
driver and rebuild GNUmach 1.2 - that could possibly give you a
better result.

Regards
 /Joachim

P.S.
     My mailer has probably wrapped the URL's above to several lines,
     they should all be on one line, of course.
D.S.
P.P.S.
     I used the same version of GNUmach as you did to avoid confusion.
     However, I think you are using the latest 1.3 release, even if the
     kernel itself states 1.2 ...
D.D.S.
--
Joachim Nilsson :: <joachim AT vmlinux DOT org>
+46(0)21-123348 :: <http://joachim.vmlinux.org>